Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Helget Farm

Saturday, October 23rd...

Jared and I helped Keith and Roger combine corn at the Helget farm that we rent over by Hanska. It was a beautiful Fall day and since there was a lot of time in between loads (they haul it about 25 miles back to St. George) we walked down by the creek that runs in between the fields and did some exploring. Jared was concerned about snakes in the tall grass but we didn't see any. I wonder who would've screamed louder... him or me? ;)


Keith showed me how to drive the combine so I could have everything full when they got back with an empty truck. They got it last year but I never got a chance to drive it. It's SO easy! Just push a button and the head lowers... no more constantly adjusting it up and down or worrying about burying the snoots in the dirt. There are sensors on the head and in the hopper so when it's full the buzzer goes off and you stop. On the old combine, you had to keep an eye on it or it would be overflowing everywhere... and you know how well that would go over!

Jared has spent many hours in the combine so you can see him sharing his wisdom and telling me what I needed to know. That kid just cracks me up! He'll be running most of the equipment when he's tall enough to reach everything... watch out!

More waiting... we had a contest to see who could find the most ears of corn that didn't make it in the combine.

When I got to the end of the field I saw 2 does wandering around but by the time I got the camera out one had gone into the corn. Keith was plowing last night and saw 3 bucks, a doe and beaver. I guess they take the corn stalks to build their dams. Kinda neat!

I asked Jared if he wanted to go swim in the corn and he looked at me like I was nuts! We used to do it all the time when I was a kid so I had to get in there and show him what I was talking about. As he was climbing up the ladder he said, "that sign says we can't go in there or we'll die". Ha! Such a little worry wart. I had to explain that the warning sticker meant only when the equipment was running and that the auger could suck a person down in there.

He had a great time!

He wants a bed of corn at home cuz it's SO comfy! I don't think so, buddy! =)

1 comment:

  1. What beaut pics :O)
    what a blessing to live on the land.
    I sometimes feel a little sad that my lads don't get to experience the more country life...
    maybe oneday we'll get some chooks :O)
    Happy farming, and may the Lord bless all your harvests to come

    ReplyDelete