Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Back Problems

My back has been bothering me for a little while now but has gotten progressively worse. Saturday night I was kneeling by the tub giving Jared a bath and I couldn't stand up. Keith had to come in and lift me up. Poor Jared sat there looking at me... "what's the matter, mommy?"

My pain is at the very bottom of my spine (Sciatic Nerve) and if I make a wrong move it shoots a zinger down my right leg like and electric shock. I've almost fallen several times because it hurts so bad... not fun! 

I called Dr. Fred (Chiropractor) Monday morning and was able to get in right away. He agreed that it was Sciatica and also muscle spasms. My right leg was actually shorter than my left because my muscles were so tight. I went to Dr. Fred when I was 8-9 months pregnant with Jared with the same problem so I had high hopes he could 'fix' me right away. Boy, was I wrong! I had to go back Tuesday morning again because it was much worse. I was even late for work because I could hardly bend over to wash my face and brush my teeth! Frustrating, to say the least. 

Dr. Fred was very surprised to see me because it was such an "easy fix" with Jared. He said that all of the stretching and adjusting that he did might have caused my muscles to over react to being where they were supposed to be. After a tearful visit (hormones aren't helping!) he sent me home to rest and ice. No work for at least 2 days.

I'm lying on the couch as I'm typing this and I'm praying that this does the trick... it sucks just sitting here but it seems to be helping. I just need to move slowly... and keep icing.

I'm going back this afternoon for a re-check.  

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the back pain!
    I herniated a disk this summer, which then piched my sciatic nerve. I know how much pain and how hard it is to not be able to move around like normal. I was vacuuming and bent over and theat was all it took, I could not move or stand up.
    I did alot of laying around and I actually alternated heat and ice. I think the only thing that really works is to stay off your feet and give your back time to rest. Which is hard when you have to work! I think I had to take off 2 whole weeks!

    Hope you feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete